[March 18, 2020] For those not living off the grid (by definition you are not reading this), you’ve been following the up-and-coming great isolation. The infectious and deadly Coronavirus – origins in China – has been spreading like wildfire on dry canyon grass, causing us to isolate ourselves from one another. At least that is what medical experts are telling us to do. Today, I’ll be writing about a few observations from the great isolation.
Whole populations are doing their best to isolate from one another; work from home, not get within six feet of each another, hunker down, and not go anyplace where there are other people. Beware, the deadly Coronavirus will kill you, if you are over 60 years old, or is it 80, or an infant? If you are a baby, then you might unknowingly harbor the disease and kill grandma. How’s that for a message for kids?
I live in southern New Jersey where there are real horses, forests as far as you can see, and seashores that are the envy of any good American who loves freedom. As I walk my Yellow Labrador in the early morning hours and later as the sun is overhead, I meet only a few people out and about. Most of them live and work in New York City or northern New Jersey (which some say is actually part of the Big Apple). They’ve all come down here where the crowds are thinner, and the living is slower.
Yesterday I traveled a long way, 10 minutes, to get to my local grocery store and found two people ahead of me in the checkout line. Heaven forbid this should occur! And we called it a mob. At least there was meat on the shelves, bottled water, a few paper products, and anything else I may have wanted to buy. Later I stopped by the local CVS pharmacy and found only two people in the store. We bought Preparation H and Tampax.
Here are a few of my observations. Occasionally I’ll put another article or two up for your entertainment. But these will get us over “hump day” Wednesday:
- The great global climate change crisis may hold the attention of a few hardliners, but most have thrown in the towel on this prank.
- Professors, who have been calling humans a “deadly virus” on the Earth, are seen as the nuts they are.
- Globalism and “we are the world” is no longer a rallying cry of the left but the rantings of a few hippie wannabes.
- San Fran and New York City are considering mandatory ‘shelter in place’ with permission only to leave to get groceries or exercise. What, no orgies?
- A street theater group called Extinction Rebellion decided to cancel this weekend’s mass die-in (not sure what they were dying for this time).
- A few environmentalists are claiming that the virus is lowering greenhouse gasses and slowing pollution the right way by reducing the population.
- A few tyrants are proclaiming the Coronavirus is a great excuse to bring back Communism. No, seriously.
- And, the mayor of Bugliano, Italy, has responded to the viral outbreak by prohibiting orgies, banning threesomes, and sex involving more than two people “for the foreseeable future.”
Now, if the Romans had just done this in 476 AD, the Roman Empire might still be with us today.