[January 19, 2022] Occasionally, I offer some not-so-random thoughts in writing that I’ve stored away in my mental rucksack. My “rucksack” will never be retired. Today, I’m pulling out a number of these for comment. I like them. Regular readers will instantly recognize the list. Some have taken to calling them “Dougisms.”
- Tell the truth or you’ll get sandblasted by reality.
- Do something. It may be wrong, but do something.
- Share your foxhole only with someone who can fight like the devil.
- Never stop moving. Or, that’s the spot where you’ll die.
- You don’t have to be the prettiest, the strongest, the smartest person around, but if you don’t pay attention, you’ll get your arse kicked.
- Hold the team guidon. Somebody has to accept the mantel of responsibility. Besides, the enemy has to see somebody to shoot at.
- Know your weaknesses; this is the mark of a smart man.
- Don’t bullshit yourself.
- Nobody owes you nuttin’.
- You will be harshly judged by others who know nothing. Get over it.
- Never ever, ever betray your brothers.
- Never complain, be part of the solution. Whining irritates me.
- Face those things you fear most, only through fear can you genuinely be a free man.
- There’s only one kind of discipline, perfect discipline.
- Be polite, be respectful, and carry a gun … and more ammunition than you will ever need.
- Don’t assume nuttin’ … the enemy has a vote on how to kill you.
- Obey the rules, be the best at following the rules, but know when to break them.
- Protect the weak and the innocent and so be prepared to create great chaos and destruction.
- Your feelings don’t matter to me, so pull up your big-boy pants.
- Suffering is universal, lock shields with your battlebuddies, that way you’ll be with them always.
- See the enemy first, you become their final solution.
- Never surrender your sword … or guns, or knives, or hand grenades.
- Tell stories of heroic deeds.
- Be prepared; wear your helmet, clean your weapon, and treat yourself properly.
- Always have a backup plan, the bad guys have theirs.
- Pain in the body is its way of telling you that you are alive.
- Aim at being a monster, that way you walk with the knowledge nobody will mess with you.
- Listen intently, especially to your enemies, they will tell you what they are about to do.
- If you fight fair, be prepared to have your butt kicked.
- Always eat last, that’s how you take care of Soldiers.
- Get used to cold showers. Life is tough.
- If you are thrown into the lion’s den, be sure to come out leading them, or don’t come out at all.
Oh, this is not all. Read about Dr. Jordan Peterson’s “valuable things to know” in a post I wrote last year (link here).
Please read my new book, “Our Longest Year in Iraq,” at Amazon (link here).