[October 28, 2018] Railroads are not dead and they’re not dying. While this seems to be the current thinking of logisticians, railways across the world are making a comeback from the days of deteriorating rail lines, outdated equipment, and dilapidated structures. Norfolk Southern Railway is one of those making headlines in modernization and efficiency.
Norfolk Southern is making innovative changes in how railroads do business by cutting costs, delivering product quicker and more efficiently, and by edging their way into what has been a traditional trucking market. This is being done because they are focusing on their core values and every employee understands it.
Here are the core values of Norfolk Southern Railway.1 Note how similar this list is with other large organizations because these make NSR a very successful company:
- Safety: We put safety first by taking care of the people around us and following the rules.
- Performance: We are performance driven and committed to providing quality customer service. We act on facts and are accountable for results.
- Integrity: We do the right thing. We are open, fair, honest, and straightforward.
- Respect: We believe in the importance of all of our stakeholders. We value the ideas and beliefs of co-workers.
- Innovation: We constantly seek new ideas and creative solutions to business challenges.
- Teamwork: We believe that working together always produces the best results.
The NS vision is to “Be the safest, most customer-focused, and successful transportation company in the world.” Given their core values list, this makes sense in a number of ways. It is a testament to their emphasis on safety that working on railroads in the U.S. is not listed in the top most dangerous jobs in America; as measured by fatal accidents [emphasis added].
NS is also known for their innovative and safety conscious leadership. If they keep this up, their growth and success will continue.