[October 3, 2017] If there ever was a poll taken of senior military leaders asking whether they played a sport growing up as a child, I would wager that each and every one would answer they participated in at least one sport. Leadership is something that requires an experience of a lifetime and the sooner we begin that journey, the better we become. One manly sport, that helps with leadership experience, and that requires stamina, strength, and foresight, is Ice Hockey.
“A good hockey player plays where the puck is. A great hockey player plays where the puck is going to be.” – Wayne Gretzky, Professional Ice Hockey player
Wayne Gretzky, the world’s greatest hockey player, notes a similar characteristic of great players and great leaders. Each must know where they are at the moment but also where they must be in the future. That single factor alone helps determine the quality of those leaders who reach the pinnacle of their career as he has done.
One of my goals here at theLeaderMaker.com is to draw attention to the lost art of manliness. Modern western culture has been feminized; creating a drift in men of all ages and explains, in part, why so many believe America’s military has been so “wussified” (to quote Army Vet) that it threatens national security. War is a man’s game, always has been and always will be.
This is why men must hold onto those things that make them stronger, more resilient, less intellectually lazy, and self-motivated. Involvement in sports does this and more. Sports also teaches us how to be part of a team and what it means to fail when we don’t. Hockey is great at this because it requires considerable team preparation and cooperation.
The National Hockey League has made the game safer but also less manly. Many have complained about this but I expect that is part of a nationwide movement to make us conform. Hockey has the chance to change. Let’s see what happens. Here are 10 great moments with hockey player Wayne Gretzky on the ice in a YouTube video (see link).
[Don’t forget to “Like” the Leader Maker at our Facebook Page.]
- Manly Bronco Riding: https://www.theleadermaker.com/sports-lessons-manly-bronco-riding/
- Manly Bull Racing: https://www.theleadermaker.com/sports-lessons-manly-bull-racing/
- Manly Sumo Wrestling: https://www.theleadermaker.com/sports-lessons-manly-sumo-wrestling/
- Buzkashi a Manly Sport: https://www.theleadermaker.com/sports-lessons-buzkashi-a-manly-sport/
- Manly Demolition Derby: https://www.theleadermaker.com/sports-lessons-manly-demolition-derby/
- Manly Bull Riding: https://www.theleadermaker.com/sports-lessons-manly-bull-riding/
- Full Contact Jousting: https://www.theleadermaker.com/sports-lessons-full-contact-jousting/
- The Art of Manliness: https://www.theleadermaker.com/the-art-of-manliness/