[September 09, 2014] If you grew up in America, it was impossible not to have gone to a Sears and Roebuck store – they were just about everywhere. I always liked my mom buying “go to school jeans” for all of us children. The store workers then – and now – have always been friendly and helpful. Perhaps this is why they are so successful.
Founded in 1893 as a mail order catalog company, Richard W. Sears and Alvah C. Roebuck started the company but control moved to Julius Rosenwald in 1895. It was Rosenwald who provided the senior leadership needed to greatly expand its sales and profits. Sears, Roebuck and Company is a subsidiary of the Sears Holding Corporation. They are an international retailer focused on “seamlessly connecting the digital and physical shopping experiences to serve our members – wherever, whenever and however they want to shop.”
Company “core values” are listed here. At Sears, they refer to them as “our cultural beliefs:”1
- Members First: to deliver a “wow” experience.
- Own It: take accountability – “I See It, Own It, Solve It and Do It.”
- Embrace Feedback: constantly seek, accept and offer feedback.
- Show Pride: demonstrate passion and pride by leading by example.
- Learn and Innovate: learn new ways to serve members and embrace innovation and technology.
- Earn Trust: work hard to earn the trust of every member interact with.
- Be Authentic: be genuine in all interactions – align words and action to achieve key results.
Sears is clearly a well-run company with great leadership and helpful workers. They provide quality products with great service. Sears has been listed in various publications as one of the best places to work and is admired everywhere. The success they experience however is due to diligent, hard work. They deserve the praise.
[Don’t forget to “Like” the Leader Maker at our Facebook Page.]
[Note] The Sears mission statement is: “To grow our business by providing quality products and services at great value when and where our customers want them, and by building positive, lasting relationships with our customers.”